Monday, December 27, 2010

1984 discussion

For the past month or so I have been reading the book 1984, by George Orwell.  A short summery of 1984 could be a man living in a world where his government is oppressive, his friends cant be trusted, and one step out of line and he would be annihilated and never heard from again.  Even taking in the fact that I could be killed and never heard from again I would do exactly what Winston had done, I would try to cheat the system, break every unjust rule made. Being cooped up and not being able to express oneself, it is against human nature. Creativity should not be punished; instead it should be accepted and rewarded.
1984 had several illusive symbols throughout the book that when pointed out becomes so obvious. For example the glass paperweight was a metaphor for Winston and Julia's love, as well as how Winston felt. It symbolizes how Winston and Julia’s love is so beautiful, no matter how useless it is. The paperweight also symbolizes how Winston feels trapped by his government where he can’t even move. Both symbols not only help to add to the book but they also help prove that the government in 1984 is evil, corrupt, and oppressive.
            The only thing I hated about this book was the ending. It was one of the worst endings I have ever read. One reason I hated the ending is because it wasn’t all that clear if Winston had died or not, it just said that he loved big brother. Later I found out that Winston did not die in the book, we were just supposed to know that he was going to die. Another reason this books ending was horrible was because he completely went against his former beliefs as well as his promise to Julia. The ending completely deterred me from saying that this is one of the best books I have read in a wile. 

3 comments:

  1. 1984 was an interesting book. I would have to say that 1984 dragged a lot in the beginning, but what other books have dragged a lot in the beginning? (Every book that I have read). The book the George Orwell had written was very inspiring. It got one’s mind really thinking. They would think about the future and if that kind of future would really happen.
    But I would have to agree with you about the ending. Afterward, when I had finished the book, I was extremely disappointed about the outcome. Winston just went back to what he was in the beginning, he was even worse than was he was. I felt like I had just wasted my time in reading that book. But I think I got over it. Ii is just that I cannot get back those hours of reading; I could have been playing my guitar or even reading a better book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blackangel,

    Winston did go back...he betrayed everything that I33 believed in. What does that say about human nature? Do you really think that books need to finish with happy ending? Nothing about this book was supposed to be "inspiring." Orwell was commenting on society, like Thomas More in Utopia. It was intended to wake people up! I guess it didn't work =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collin,

    I was thinking about what you said about how you would have done the same as Winston if it had bee you in the society in 1948, but how can you say that? If you had been born into that society, you may well have been an entirely different person. If you have been shaped into the kind of person who admires creativity by a society that accepts creativity, what would you have been like growing up in Oceana where your parents would have been considered traitors for telling you anything contrary to the teachings of the Party? While I would like to think I would have stood against Big Brother if I was placed in that situation, I have no Idea what I would have been like growing up in a society that worshipped him. Especially if you take into account that even if we had been in that society, we might not have been in a position like Winston. Winston frequently saw proof that the government lied to the people in the news because he helped create the lies, so even he might not have done what he had done if it was not for the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete