Sunday, May 15, 2011

AFRICA in class


Recently I have been learning about Africa in my history class. So far we have only learned about two things, the triangle trade between Europe, the United States, and Africa. In this trade system, Africa was getting cheap goods in return for slaves, which eventually lead to the loss of many able bodied workers in Africa, all of which I already knew from learning about slavery in previous years of school. We also learned about the geography of Africa, such as the lay out of Africa, which includes the capitols and the countries in it. I also learned that AFRICA IS NOT A COUNTRY!
            Some other things that I already knew about Africa is that there are many languages spoken throughout the continent of Africa, and that there is a lot of corruption throughout the countries in Africa. An example of corruption in Africa is the diamond mining in places such as Sierra Leone, The Ivory Coast, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Angola. I only learned about that because of my thesis on blood diamonds.  Other then that, I don’t know very much about Africa, but I am excited to learn about it.
            Some things I hope to learn about Africa are what made this continent so diverse and corrupt? Did slavery have anything to do with corruption, or was the corruption in Africa already there before slavery?
            In my opinion, even though I don’t know much about Africa yet, if they become industrialized and started obtaining better technology they would be able to solve some of their differences. I think this because it will allow them to have more access to each other and allow them to communicate and eventually to come to an agreement other then just attacking eachother.

No comments:

Post a Comment